“Art is still to us something which has been well-cooked - like a plate of spaghetti. An ear of wheat is not ‘art.’ Wait, wait till it has been turned into pure, into perfect macaroni.”
— D.H. Lawrence, from his book Etruscan Places
The Smart Cellist’s Guide to Popper Etudes
1. Learn the first 8 bars really well.
2. Get to the hard part. Decide to skip it to where the opening theme repeats.
3. Learn the last 8 bars really well.
4. Try the hard part again. Nope.
5. Maybe listening to a recording would help. Watch the YouTube video of Joshua Roman playing your etude.
The Smart Pianist’s Guide to Études: